This is completely new to me. Apparently a mix of CrossFit and circuit training:
You will burn 900 calories per hour!
For those that don’t know this exercise, tabata is a high-intensity workout protocol and has many fitness and weight loss benefits. It’s a mix between CrossFit and circuit training.
The basic of tabata is that you perform exercise for 20 seconds, remember it has to be intense training and do it as hard as you can. Then you rest for 10 seconds. This has to be repeated 8 times.
Here is a great tabata routine from SunWarrior.com:
Sprinting & Ropes Tabata
- Sprinting: sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds x 8 times
- Battle rope: Rope for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds x 8 times
Body Weight Tabata
- Push-ups: 20 seconds push-ups, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Body Squats: 20 seconds Squatting, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Planks: 20 seconds planking, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Pull-Ups: 20 seconds pull-ups, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Bicep Curls: 20 seconds curling, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Chest Press: 20 seconds Chest press, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Walking lunges with dumbbell: 20 seconds lunging, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
- Overhead Tricep Extension: 20 seconds overhead, 10 seconds rest x 8 times
To learn more about Tabata training, make sure you read this guide on BreakingMuscle called The Tabata Revolution Explained: What, Why, And How To Tabata